The historic Villa Skogshyddan is located on a plot that once extended from Kavallintie to Gallträsk. The original structure was a Jämtland-style summer cottage made of round logs, which was built in 1907.
A few years later, Fridolf Fredrik Ekberg bought the plot and the cottage was enlarged into a villa in 1913. The Ekberg family spent the winters on Bulevardi in Helsinki where their bakery was located, and their summers at the villa.
Villa Skogshyddan was later transferred from the Ekberg family to the city of Kauniainen. It operated as a nursery school between 1989 and 2013, before falling vacant for a few years. In 2016, the Lindqvist family took it on, and restoration work began in spring 2017.
Now it is separated into three separate apartments, used for both accommodation and retreats.
Villa Skogshyddan represents a National Romantic architectural style. The main entrance was probably rebuilt in the 1920s and received a national-style roof and Ionian columns. A large glass porch was built to the north of the house, which once had views of the lake.
There is an old big apple tree near the kitchen entrance in the orchard surrounding the house, and old berry bushes are further down the slope and in the courtyard of the nursery. There have been three wells in the garden.
The building is protected by a town plan, as “a building of cultural and historical value”. The building or part of it shall not be demolished or any repair, alteration or extension work shall be made that would impair the historic value of the building.
Villa Skogshyddan was designed by architect Harald Smedberg and builder Vilho Lekman.